15th - 23rd October 2011
A mix of interactive presentations, fun family activities and our experts will tell you all you need to know about sharks, their threatened world and how everyone can do a little bit to help make a big change.
The SEA LIFE experts will give bite-sized shark talks everyday and guests can also check out feeding time. Kids will also be thrilled to meet Ollie the Otter on his daily personal appearances and there will also be a fun family quiz trail uncovering lots of amazing fish facts around the entire aquarium. Don't forget to ask for your free Shark hat!
Find out more about our 13 different species of shark, including the our newest resident, the Zebra Shark. Learn about the conservation status of these endangered creatures and find out what you can do to help.
Free badge making, face painting and “pin the fin on the shark” in the Loch View Café.
Watch an exclusive shark documentary, especially for Shark Week. Showing all day throughout Shark week.
**Daily Feed Programme**
11:00 Otter Feed
Meet our Otters – Shona, Rhona and Mona – and see them being fed by their favourite keeper
12:00 Turtle Feed
Meet the only Giant Green Sea Turtle in Scotland
13:00 SHARK TALK
Exclusive to Shark Week.
Find out about more these rare and beautiful creatures
13:30 Ocean Feed/Ray Feed
Here you will learn more about the native species of fish as well as our different types of ray
14:30 Otter feeding
Find out what makes them different to other species of Otters
15:30 Seahorse Feed
Watch these amazing creatures enjoy their daily feed.
16:30 Fresh Water Feed
Find out what makes them different to other species of Otters.
17:30 Turtle Feed
Watch and learn about the only Giant Green Sea turtle in Scotland.
Over 30 spectacular marine displays
Cinema - The very latest sensational movie experience
Loch view Cafe: The best view of Loch Lomond
Free children's quiz & prize for every child
Touch a Starfish! Interactive rock pool demonstrations throughout the day
Don't forget Loch Lomond and Birmingham are the only UK aquarium to display Hammerhead Sharks!
Top Ten Shark facts:
1. Sharks as a species are over 400million years old, meaning this fascinating group pre-dates the Dinosaurs.
2. NOAA Fisheries report that over an estimated 100 million sharks are killed each year.
3. Dr Ronald O' Dor, senior scientist at the Census of Marine life, informed scientists at the American Association for the Advancement of Science conference in San Diego that shocking research by Professor Barbara Block shows there are fewer Great Whites left in the ocean than there are Tigers on the Earth.
4. Sharks never get cancer, and may hold the secret to the cure.
5. A shark's sense of smell is so good, they can detect one drop of blood in an Olympic sized swimming pool.
6. Lightning is more dangerous than Sharks. More people die from lightning strikes each year than die from being attacked by a shark.
7. A wasp is more dangerous than a shark. There are approximately 100 shark attacks on humans worldwide per year. Only five - 15 of these cases result in death. It is estimated 100 people die a year from an adverse reaction to a wasp sting.
8. The average shark swims at 20-40 miles per hour, but a Mako Shark has been recorded at more than 60 miles per hour.
9. The Whale Shark is the biggest fish living in our oceans.
10. Puffer Fish are immune to becoming shark bait - sharks cannot eat them because the Puffer can blow up in their mouths and prick them with their spiny needles.