NEW EXHIBITION CLAWS
CRUSTY CREATURES OF THE DEEP STAR IN NEW SPECIAL EXHIBITION
An invasion of the crustacean kind is expected at the SEA LIFE Benalmádena Aquarium in March 2014 as a new exhibition featuring some stunning species of crabs opens.
Meet the armoured division of the marine world. Learn about the amazing anatomy of crabs and find out what makes than one of the most powerful predators on the sea bed.
The crab is one of the oldest species on earth. The crab dates back over 200 million years and is a living fossil. The Japanese Spider Crab also belongs to the oldest crabs and can live for one hundred years.
Did you Know?...
- Crabs and lobsters have teeth in their stomach. Crabs have 3 sets of jaws.
- Lobsters can regenerate legs,claws and antennae.In fact they can amputate their own claws and legs to escape danger.
- 1,1 kilogram - force per square centimetre is enough to break a human bone.When opening coconut shells the coconut crab exeris five times that amount.
- After losing a claws, a new one grow.
Species and curiosities...
Crabs tend to be agressive fighting creatures, males often fight over their females. On rocky seashorses, where nearly all caves and crevices are occupied, crabs also fight over hiding holes.
When crabs get too big for their shells they split them open and shed them. Underneath the old suit of armour there is a new soft shell. This can take three days to harden.
Crabs live in all parts of the sea, from the very deepest oceans to wave-swept shores. The Japanese Spider Crab is probably the most deep-living crab of the world; its natural habitats are usually the deepest abysses of the Pacific.
- Japanese Spider Crab: It´s the largest crustacean in the world. Can weight up to 20kg, reaching 4 meters from claw to claw!
- Lobster: It can reach a body length of 64 cm and a mass of over 20 kilograms, making it the heaviest crustacean in the world!.
- Spider Crab: Migrations generally take place in autumn, with some crabs covering over 100 miles in eight months!.
- Rainbow Crab: They are known to be cannibalistic, and will consume smaller crabs!.
- Nephrops: spend most of their tiem in burrows, only coming out to feed and look for a male!.
- Broad Lobster: It is located at depths between 4 and 50 meters, mainly on rocky or muddy bottoms.