Name the shark competition!
NAME OUR PLAYGROUND SHARK!
Fancy a chance to name your very own snappy shark?
The Sea Life Centre has got together with Brighton & Hove City Council to run a great children’s competition with a seriously sharky feel.
We’re asking youngsters visiting the Sea Life Centre or the Brighton Sea Life Centre website between 17 April and 3 May 2013 to think up a suitable name for a carved wooden shark that will swim around in the sandpit of a new playground at The Level, a popular city centre park.
The play area will have a range of exciting and inclusive play equipment for children of all ages to enjoy. (We’re all just hoping the shark doesn’t frighten the flock of wooden sheep that will be grazing in the playground too much!)
The winning name will be permanently marked onto the shark ready for its arrival at the new playground. Children will be able to visit it when the park opens this summer. Find out more about the work the city council is doing at the park here.
What do you have to do?
- Think up a shark name that has a MAXIMUM of six letters. Remember lots of other people will be choosing names in this competition too, so the cleverer or more unusual your name, the better!
- Email your suggested name back to Brighton & Hove City Council’s Parks Projects team
- Optional extras: If you would like to, tell us (in not more than 10 words) what you like about sharks. This is not an essential part of the competition – we’re just nosy!
- The competition is open to all children up to the age of 16
- The deadline for entries is 5pm on 3 May 2013
- Only one name per child can be entered into the competition
- The chosen shark name can be a male or a female name
- You don’t need to live locally to enter the competition
- Entries need to be emailed to Brighton & Hove City Council’s Parks Projects team
, by the deadline above, with the words “SHARK COMPETITION” in the email subject line
- You MUST also include the following in your email text:-
Suggested name for the shark (maximum six letters)
The child’s full name
The child’s age
The name of the town in which the child lives
A contact telephone number for the child’s parent or guardian
Confirmation that the child’s parent/guardian/carer knows that the child has entered the competition, and that the parent/guardian/carer has read and understood the “publicity” section (below)
- The winning entry will be selected by Brighton & Hove City Council’s Parks Projects team in conjunction with the Sea Life Centre Brighton
- The winner will be notified by 31 May 2013
Publicity: The Sea Life Centre and Brighton & Hove City Council may wish to use the winning child’s name in publicity. If the parent or guardian has any concerns about this, please ensure you note this in the text of your entry email. If the child does live locally, we may wish to organise a photocall featuring the child at The Level once the shark has been installed in the new playground. Please note that a completed photo permission form will be required by Brighton & Hove City Council.
The playground is part of a major £2.2m park restoration project, being carried out by Brighton & Hove City Council with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Big Lottery Fund. Find out more at here. Details of the restoration project are here.