Skip to main content
- SEA LIFE Timmendorfer Strand, Tropical Ocean
- The green sea turtle is one of the most famous species of sea turtles.
- Its shell is coloured in different shades of brown with greenish parts, that is where the Green Sea Turtle got its name from.
- It is found in all tropical and subtropical seas, including the Mediterranean Sea!
- Because it is traditionally used as an ingredient in turtle soups, it is also called "soup turtle" in some languages.
- Since 1988, the green sea turtle has been under international protection.
- Global warming can also have a negative effect on the turtle population, because at higher temperatures more female than male turtles are born.