Go back to blog
5 fun facts about Penguins
- Tuesday 16th February 2021
- Penguins, Animal Facts
Penguins are some of the most interesting and unique birds. Discover 5 fun facts about these creatures with Penguin Keeper Alex!
1. Gentoo Penguins are the fastest of all penguin species!
These penguins can swim at speeds of up to 36km/h! That's 4 times faster than any Olympic swimmer!
2. The oldest penguin fossils are 62 million years old
That is only 3 million years after the dinosaurs disappeared!
3. Penguins poop every 20 minutes
Penguins have a very fast metabolism this means they need to poop, a lot!
4. A penguins black and white colouring is called counter-shading.
All penguin species share counter-shading camouflage. This means they have a lighter belly and a darker back, and helps them camouflage from predators above and below them.
5. Penguins are expert divers!
Penguins dive to catch their food. The Emperor penguin can dive down to 530m, Gentoo penguins can dive 200m and King penguins can dive around 350m deep!