Go back to blog
Students Are Invited to Enter a Fun and Educational Design Competition
- Monday 4th April 2016
Put down your books and join SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium as we celebrate World Oceans Day on Monday 8th of June 2016. This special day provides a unique opportunity to honour and help conserve the world's ocean.
Plastic bag and other rubbish pollution are harming our ocean and it's time to make a change. Let's take the better bag challenge and commit to using a reusable bag instead of one-time use plastic bags. To support the better bag challenge and help reduce plastic pollution, SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium invites schools with students of all ages to a fun design competition!
Why don't you join us to design your own bag to support the cause? Your design will get the chance to be printed on SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium woven bag and the winning class will receive a free school excursion to SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium!
SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium is passionate about three conservation topics that can help protect our ocean. The better bag will be designed based on one of these themes:
- Choose to reuse: over 8 million tonnes of plastic ends up in the ocean every year. Help reduce plastic waste by swapping single use for reusable bags and water bottles.
- Fish for future: overfishing is pushing many species to the brink of extinction. Help maintain healthy fish populations by choosing sustainable seafood. Look for the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) label and choose pole and line caught tuna.
- Switch for the reef: climate change may seem like a big problem but you can make a difference. Simply switch off appliances when not in use and help reduce CO2 emissions.
Entering the competition is as easy as 1-2-3:
1) Gather your class together and select a conservation topic: Choose to reuse, fish for future or switch for the reef
2) Use any materials you like to design, draw and colour your work of art - this can be done as a class or by the individual students
3) Submit your artwork with the official entry form before the competition closes on 6 May 2016.
This promotion has now ended.