Go back to blog
Fun Facts about Dugongs!
- Wednesday 25th March 2020
- Dugong, Animal Facts
Have you ever wondered what a dugong is? What they eat? We have all the answers! Check out some of the most interesting dugong facts below.
- Dugongs are mammals, that means they have 5 things in common with humans; 1 We both breath air, 2 We are warm blooded, 3 We bear live young, 4 We feed our young milk and 5 We have sparse hair.
- Dugongs are herbivores, this means they only eat plants (not meat or other animals). They feed on seagrass. This is where they get their nick name the sea cow.
- A dugongs mouth is way down under his head. It’s designed to make it easier for them to feed on seagrass on the sea floor. To help Pig out we put all his cos lettuce in a heavy tray that sinks to the bottom of his exhibit, that way it’s easy for him to eat.
- Dugongs grow to 3 m long and weigh up to 400kg!
- Mother dugongs give birth to 1 baby calf. The baby will stay with its mother for up to 7 years!
- Pig our dugong may look big and slow however he can move quite fast if needed. He uses his powerful tail to propel him though the water.
- Believe it or not, the closest land relative to the dugong is the Asian elephant. Male dugongs grow tusks when they reach maturity. Female Dugongs also get tusks but these erupt in older females.
- You can help dugongs by making sure you remember all drains lead to the ocean. Pick up your litter to make sure it doesn’t end up in the ocean.
Check out Keeper Kerrie & Keeper Emma as they get up close to Pig the Dugong!
- Price includes Digi Photo Pass with 8 digital photos included – valued at $26!
- Get your ticket on your phone
Ticket Type Price on the day/School Holidays/Weekends SAVE 20% - Pre-book online in advance on weekdays Adult $48 $38.40 Child (3-15 yrs) $35 $28.00 Student or Senior* $39 $31.20 Child (0-2 yrs) FREE FREE
*All concession holders must have a valid concession/student/health care card to gain access to the attraction with a Student/Senior ticket.
- Guarantee entry by booking online