Go back to blog
First penguin chick of 2021 arrived on Valentine's Day!
- Tuesday 30th March 2021
We have welcomed the first penguin chick to hatch at the Aquarium this year! The baby arrived on Valentine’s Day and has recently made its debut in the Antarctic Ice Adventure display.
The King penguin chick is now six weeks of age and weighs almost 5kg. The baby was born to devoted parents Loaf and Solo, who have displayed their dedication by barely leaving their chick’s side.
“The fluffy little chick spent the first month of its life with its head tucked under dad Loaf’s tummy but has recently started venturing out and standing up in front. It is still too early for us to know the gender of the baby but it’s safe to say it is doing very well and being cared for wonderfully by its parents Loaf and Solo,” said Laura Seaman, Team Leader – Birds at SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton’s.
The hatchling is the second baby for dad Loaf and the third for mum Solo. The team at SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton’s run New Zealand’s only King penguin breeding program, which is one of the most successful programs of its kind in the world and been running for 24 years.
The Sub-Antarctic King penguins reside in SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton’s Antarctic Ice Adventure alongside a colony of Gentoo penguins. They are ambassadors for their species, helping to raise awareness of the threats facing their wild relatives. The display is kept at an icy temperature of -2° to 0° Celsius all year round to mimic the bird’s chilly homeland of South Georgia Island where they are under threat from overfishing, invasive species and climate change.
Book your visit now to say hi to this fluffy new addition to the colony.
Or, book a Penguin Passport Experience for an unforgettable experience that see you up-close with our newest king chick!
- Price includes a Digi Photo Pass giving you 10 digital photos – valued at $26!
- Express entry with mobile ticket entry
- Enjoy great discount when booked a day or more in advance during off-peak
- Prices vary by date and time
- Enjoy unlimited entry for a full 12 months!
- Discounts on experiences, food & beverages, and much more!
- Skip the queues with express Annual Pass attraction entry
- Book this ticket if you have an Annual Pass
- Make sure you book a date and time to guarantee entry
- Limited capacity