Get Closer to our Colony of Penguins
Experience an on-the-ice encounter like no other, as you venture into the world's largest sub-Antarctic penguin colony display with Penguin Passport!
For the first time ever in New Zealand, we're giving our visitors the opportunity to experience an intimate on-the-ice encounter with our amazing penguins.
Penguin Passport allows visitors to explore the wonderful snow-filled penguin enclosure and the opportunity to get up close and personal with the magnificent King and Gentoo Penguins. Visitors will enjoy a private Q&A session with an experienced Penguin Keeper as part of the experience. Photos of your experience are taken while you are on the ice, and are included in the price.
Book this experience for a specific date now or purchase an experience gift voucher valid for 12 months.
Penguin Passport runs at 10:30am every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maximum of 4 participants per session. Spots fill quickly; book early to avoid missing out on this incredible experience!
- A 60 minute unique experience
- Go behind the scenes and learn how we take care of our King and Gentoo Penguins
- Suit up in our snow gear and go on the ice with the colony in their habitat
- Photos of your experience
- All day admission to explore SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's included
Book this experience for a specific date now or purchase a Penguin Passport gift voucher valid for 12 months.
You will be asked to complete a Penguin Passport declaration form on arrival. This will include the following:
- Are you 14 years or older?
- Have you been in contact with birds in the last 24 hours?
- Are you able to navigate stairs?
- Have you suffered from Flu/Cold/Gastro/Respiration infection in the last 48 hours?
- Do you understand that no jewellery, watches, mobile phone or cameras can be taken on the tour?
Click here to read the declaration form before booking.
Tour times and days are subject to change, for the most up-to-date information contact us on email@example.com.
Book your Penguin Encounter
This experience includes all day aquarium admission. Book online and save up to $40 on walk up price!
Annual Pass Member's Benefit
Did you know you can participate in this unique experience from just $119? That is a huge 40% discount!
Become a Kelly Tarlton's Annual Pass member to take advantage of this huge discount.
Find out more about Kelly Tarlton's Annual Pass benefits.
- Get up close to our Sub-antarctic penguin colony
- A truly unique 60mins behind the scenes experience (age 14+)
- Experience an on-the-ice encounter like no other
I went on the penguin encounter tour, and it was one of the highlights of our 5 week NZ vacation. There are 2 biologists telling you about the penguins, which walk right up to you. One tried to crawl in my lap, and I played with several with dog toys that they enjoy. A very memorable experience!
We weren't allowed to touch them, however, penguins are very curious and came to us. They have a photographer on the ice with you to take pictures of you with the penguins, and the photographer was in perfect position to capture of picture of the penguin kissing me on the cheek (or that is what it looks like in the picture). I love that picture!
It was amazing getting to go in to their habitat with one of the penguin handlers and see the penguins close up. I absolutely loved it. The penguins would come up to the group while someone was holding one of the toys and we'd get to play with them. My sister who went with me and I had a great time
This is an intimate experience with only 4 people per group, sessions often book out in advance. To avoid missing out, we recommend booking online.
You must be 14 years or older for our penguin experience. Children under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- This ticket is non-refundable.
- Date changes are not permitted 3 days or less before the booked experience.
- Date changes are possible 4 or more days before the booked experience subject to availability, with notice in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transfers to friends/family members possible as long as friend/family member meets participation criteria.