Go back to blog
Oh Baby! King Penguin Chick Hatches!
- Wednesday 30th March 2022
We are thrilled to announce the arrival of a fluffy feathered bundle of joy named Primo!
The king penguin chick hatched on 06 February 2022 and is now seven weeks old, weighing in at approximately 5kg and having developed a fluffy layer of downy feathers. Primo is the baby of 16 year old Stretch and 6 year old Noel, both experienced parents who have taken to parenting their new chick like 'penguins to water'!
The chick was affectionately known as 'brown blob' while awaiting its official name, which has now been chosen by penguin enthusiast and SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's fan, 13 year old Taylah Edwards from Te Puke. Taylah chose the name Primo as a nod to the mascot of the St John Youth Cadet program which she is a member of.
Primo is spending most of its early days cuddled up to its parents, eating a delicious selection of fish to help it grow up big and strong, and like any newborn, taking lots of naps.
These Sub-Antarctic King penguins and Gentoo penguins here at SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's are ambassadors for their species, helping to raise awareness of the threats facing their wild relatives.
Come in and pay our Sub-antarctic penguin colony a visit.
Due to strict capacity restrictions, pre-booking is essential.
Know someone who would love to meet the penguins up close? Get them a Gift Voucher!
- Price includes a Digi Photo Pass giving you 10 digital photos – valued at $26!
- Express entry with mobile ticket entry
- Save up to 20% in advance! Only available for weekdays, excluding school holidays
- Buy together and save up to $33 online, now includes Digi Photo Pass giving you 10 digital photos!
- Family Pass is only available online
- Prices vary by date and time
- This is an online only ticket and is not available at admissions
- 1x Adult and 1x Child under 3 years of age
- Only available Monday to Friday, outside of school and public holidays