Harming Local Plants & Animals
What's an "invasive species", you ask? It's an organism that causes ecological damage to a new environment where it's not native. An invasive species can be introduced into a new area intentionally or on accident, but can have devastating effects either way.
There are hundreds of invasive species in Michigan that are spreading rapidly because they have no natural check here. They're able to out-compete natives, often completely transforming habitats or causing the extinction of local species entirely.
Find More Information
- State of Michigan Invasive Species Hub
- Oakland Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area
- Detroit & Western Lake Erie Cooperative Weed Management Area
- GiLLS Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area
- Lake St. Clair Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area
- Local conservation events & workshops
- Volunteer opportunities