Leading by Example
We're always looking for ways to protect the environment.
We have some great initiatives here at the aquarium that underpin our commitment to sustainability.
As a business we're aiming to embed sustainable practices across all areas of our day-to-day operation.
“Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.” ― Ryunosuke Satoro
With strong community involvement, we believe that we can pass the conservation message onto the wider community.
SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's is taking a proactive role in joining forces with the local community to pass on the message of conservation of the environment. We regularly schedule nature and beach cleanups so keep an eye on our Facebook page to join us at our next one!
Have you ever wanted to conduct a beach clean-up with a group? Well, we may be able to help! We can supply bags, gloves and other important necessities through Sea Life Trust. Please email sealifetrustKT@kellytarltons.co.nz for more information.
Our Sustainability Journey
- BYO CUP, GET A DISCOUNT! Turtle Bay Café in the centre of SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium has partnered with a range of programs to offer our customers discounted rates when bringing in their own cup for refreshments. This means that the otherwise disposable cups are staying out of the rubbish. Anyone who brings in their own cup can purchase a $3 coffee!
- KeepCup - The first barista standard reusable coffee cup, KeepCups were introduced to purchase in both our Turtle Bay Café and in the retail store. They're a great alternative to disposable cups and fit under coffee machine group heads.
- UYOC - Directory of Eco Cup Friendly and ethical café directory Around New Zeland
- Responsible Cafés - As featured on the ABC’s War on Waste, the Responsible Cafes program saves money and reduces waste, and incentivises customers to do the right thing by bringing their own cups.
- We've removed all plastic bags from SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's. We only use plastic bags in our large waste bins.
- We've removed all plastic straws from the café and functions.
- All paper plates and cutlery are biodegradable.
- Recyclable paper napkins.
- Reduced plastic packaging in the retail store. We are continually reviewing our contractual obligations and working with our suppliers to minimise the plastic packaging of toys.
One of the partners who shares the same environmental vision as SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton's is BioPak. Just between July 2020 and June 2021 alone, we have made the following positive impacts by using compostable packaging:
- Offset 15,204Kg of carbon
- Avoided 3,436Kg of plastic
10 Simple Conservation Tips
We've put together ten simple things that anyone can do to help take care of the ocean and shoreline.
- Leave only footprints in the sand. Never leave litter behind when you go to the beach.
- Never release balloons into the air. Balloons cause the death of countless numbers of sea turtles and whales by causing them to suffocate or starve to death.
- Put trash in its place. Wind and rain can carry litter to our streams and our streams feed our oceans.
- Use public transportation, cycle or walk. Reduce automobile pollution that contributes to climate change which directly affects the ocean.
- Do not dump. Do not dump oil, soapy water or any toxic products down roadside drains as this water doesn’t go through the wastewater treatment and goes straight into rivers and eventually the ocean.
- Pick up after your pets. Never leave or hose pet droppings into the roadside drains as this causes high bacteria levels that contaminate the ocean.
- Swim and see, don’t touch. Keep a respectful distance from sea creatures for their safety and yours.
- Conserve water. Take shorter showers and repair leaky taps
- Reduce, reuse and recycle. Save money and natural resources as well as the environment.
- Care. Share these tips with your friends. You can make a difference
Do you know how long it takes rubbish to disintegrate?
Cigarette Butt: 1-12 YEARS
Plastic Bag: 10-20 YEARS
Aluminium Can: 80-100 YEARS
Glass Bottle: 1 MILLION YEARS
Plastic Bottle: NEVER