Go back to blog
SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast is looking for Queensland’s Biggest Penguin Fan
- Monday 13th January 2020
To celebrate the upcoming launch of SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast’s first-ever Penguin Encounter experience, the much-loved Mooloolaba attraction has launched a state-wide search for a kid who identifies as Queensland’s biggest penguin fan to receive the ultimate prize !
The competition, open to fans aged between 5 and 16 years, calls for Queenslander's with a passion for the flightless, aquatic bird to put their best case forward in the form of a video or photo, accompanied by a written response to the question on everybody’s lips: ‘What makes you Queensland’s biggest penguin fan?’
As part of their prize, the winning fan will be the FIRST guest to experience SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast’s Penguin Encounter experience (opening soon), which comes after the recent launch of the Little Blue Penguins exhibit – the first of its kind on the Sunshine Coast.
As part of the Penguin Encounter, the lucky winning child or teenager will step inside the Little Blue Penguins’ habitat at SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast and have the opportunity to meet the adorable colony of birds and hand feed them a fishy feast! The Penguin Encounter experience also includes a unique behind-the-scenes tour where the budding penguin keeper can discover how the cheeky little creatures are cared for, and ask SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast’s team of penguin experts anything and everything they want to know! PLUS they’ll go home with an official SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast certificate naming them ‘Queensland’s Biggest Penguin Fan’, and a prize pack full of penguin-y goodness!
“Since launching our Little Blue Penguins exhibit in December, we have welcomed thousands of enthusiastic guests to meet the Sunshine Coast’s first colony of Little Penguins – and we’re beyond excited to take that experience to the next level with our brand new Penguin Encounter!” says Quinn Clarke, General Manager of SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast.
“We’re just missing one thing – we need the final tick of approval from Queensland’s biggest penguin fan, who will be the first guest to encounter our penguins like never before and make Sunshine Coast history!”
If you or your penguin-loving superstars are aged between 5 and 16 years old and think they’ve got the passion to be named Queensland’s biggest penguin fan, simply tell us in 25 words or less why you are most deserving to win, accompanied by a photo or video demonstration!
The search for Queensland’s biggest penguin fan commences Friday 14th February and closes Friday 21st February at midnight.
About little penguins:
- Little penguins (Eudyptula minor) are the smallest species of penguin
- They breed in colonies along the southern coastlines of Australian and New Zealand
- Adult little penguins are the only penguins with blue and white feathers rather than black and white feathers
- Little penguins spend approximately 80% of their life in the water but return to land to breed, moult and rest
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Information on how to enter forms part of the terms of entry. Entry into the competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- ‘Queensland’s Biggest Penguin Fan’ is a competition and the winner will be selected by the SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast team. Chance plays no part in determining the winners.
- Entry is open to residents of Queensland aged between five and 16 years. Employees and immediate families of Merlin Entertainments, and their associated agencies and companies connected with this competition are not eligible to enter.
HOW TO ENTER
The competition will be held once:
- Entries will be open from 12am Friday 14th February 2020
- Entries will close 11.59pm Friday 21st February 2020
- SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast will select the winner. The winner will be notified by SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast by Monday 24th February 2020
- Day of Penguin Encounter will take place during the week of Monday 24th February
- To enter, participants visit the SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast Queensland’s Biggest Penguin Fan competition page and answer in 25 words or less what makes you the biggest fan, accompanied by a photo or video demonstrating your passion!
- By entering, a user thereby accepts the terms and conditions laid out within this document.
- Incomprehensible entries will be deemed invalid.
- Entrants in the competition may enter as many times as they like
- The Promoter reserves the right to request winners to provide proof of identity; proof of identification, residency and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the Promoter. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.
- The Promoter reserves the right to verify the validity of entries and to disqualify any entry which, in the opinion of the Promoter, includes objectionable content, profanity, potentially insulting, inflammatory or defamatory statements, disqualify any entrant who tampers with the entry process, who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these terms and conditions of entry or who has, in the opinion of the Promoter, engaged in conduct in entering the promotion which is fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the promotion and/or the Promoter. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify a winner if the Promoter becomes aware that the winner and/or the winner’s entry is of a type described in this clause.
- Entrants must have permission from a parent/guardian over the age of 18 to enter.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected entries including delays in the posting of responses due to technical disruptions, network congestion or for any other reason.
- The cost of entering the competition will be dependent on the entrant’s individual Internet Service Provider.
- There will be one prize winner who will win the following prize:
- Free family pass (4 pax) to SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast
- The first guest to participate in the Penguin Encounter experience
- A SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast penguin prize pack!
- Prize consists only of the elements detailed above; all additional expenses are the sole responsibility of the winner.
- In the event that for any reason whatsoever a winner does not take an element of the prize at the time stipulated by the Promoter then that element of the prize will be forfeited by the winner and cash will not be awarded in lieu of that element of the prize.
- Each valid entrant will be judged by the SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast team. The judges will select the winning entry, based on the most creative and/or original, in the context of the competition.
- The guardian of the winner agrees for the winning child to be involved in media opportunities surrounding the Queensland’s Biggest Penguin Fan This includes any TV, print, online or radio interview or photo opportunities in the days before, during or after their stay.
- Should an entrant’s contact details change during the promotional period, it is the entrant's responsibility to notify the Promoter. A request to access or modify any information provided in an entry should be directed to Promoter.
- The promoter’s decision is final and the promoter will not enter into correspondence regarding the Competition result or winning entries.
- It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the prize and the prize supplier’s requirements.
- In the case of the intervention of any outside act, agent or event which prevents or significantly hinders the Promoter’s ability to proceed with the competition on the dates and in the manner described in these terms and conditions, including but not limited to vandalism, power failures, tempests, natural disasters, acts of God, civil unrest, strike, war, act of terrorism, the Promoter may in its absolute discretion cancel the competition and recommence it from the start on the same conditions, subject to any directions given under State Regulation.
- The Promoter shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize/s except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law. The Promoter is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, either caused by the phone user or for any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in this competition, or for any technical error, or any combination thereof that may occur in the course of the administration of this competition including any omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line or telephone, mobile or satellite network failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of entries.
- The Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who the Promoter has reason to believe has breached any of these conditions, or engaged in any unlawful or other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardise the fair and proper conduct of the promotion. The Promoter’s legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such an offender are reserved.
- The Promoter and their associated agencies and companies assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, and delay in operation or transmission; a communication line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of entries, and reserve the right to take any action that may be available.
- If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures, unforeseen weather, cancelled flights or any causes beyond the control of the Promoter, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, subject to any direction given under State Regulation.
- All entries become the property of the Promoter. The Promoter collects personal information about you to enable you to participate in this promotion. Information supplied when logging your entry will be used by SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast to contact you in the event your entry is selected as part of the shortlist or is the winning entry. No further use of this information will be made without prior consent.
- The Promoter is SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast.
FURTHER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Instagram. Facebook or Instagram membership and the use of Facebook or Instagram generally are subject to the Instagram prevailing terms and conditions of use. Entrants understand that they are providing their information to the Promoter and not to Instagram. Entrants are solely responsible and liable for the content of their entries and any other information they transmit to other internet users via Instagram. To the extent permitted by law, each entrant agrees to indemnify, defend and forever hold harmless, Instagram and its associated agencies and companies, against any and all losses, actions, claims, costs, expenses and damages (of any nature) which may be incurred by an entrant in respect of the entrant’s participation in the promotion. Any questions, comments or complaints about this promotion must be directed to the Promoter and not to Facebook or Instagram.